Tuesday 9 April 2013

"Plagiarism's Steady Incline" - Chapter 26: Consuming Mediocre Art

These days, it's tough to be original. They say everything's been done and done to death; I'm inclined to believe Them.

That's why we, as consumers of media, are flooded with remakes, re-dos, reboots, rehashes, remixes, reruns, re-imaginings, and retweets. 

Once in awhile, something original and incredible comes along and blows us away, sure... but this saturation of repetition, masked, and then packaged, and then marketed as BRAND NEW seems to be slowly suffocating me.

I think this is all motivated by the same gripe I have with a lack of artistic integrity these days.

There's too much money to be made by making five Transformers sequels and seven Fast & Furious movies and not enough money being made creating original, thought-provoking art.

No, that would take time, effort, talent, funding, and artistic integrity.

It's difficult, though. I know that first-hand. Creating anything from scratch is a difficult process, and of course there are going to be previous motivations and inspirations that Creators draw from.

I guess my only plea is that as consumers, we attempt to recognize when we are being manipulated into consuming mediocre art. That's a greater travesty than creating the art itself.

I'll leave you with a brilliant short film (7 mins) that had a completely original twist on the classic Zombie Apocalypse genre. Pure genius. Enjoy.


                                                                                      -NxB
Playing: World of Goo by 2D Boy
Watching: The Winnipeg Jets trying to make the playoffs.








2 comments:

  1. I hope you entered your blog in the CCMAs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might have. My massive readership of you and my dad should probably riot when I don't win. ;)

      Delete