Monday 15 April 2013

"Don't let the actions of the few dictate the perception of the many." - Chapter 27: We Outnumber Them

Today, another tragedy.

During the Boston Marathon, three were killed and dozens more injured.

Last time, guns. This time, bombs.

What I want to talk about, though, isn't the downward spiral of humanity, the disgusting state of our society, or how we need to clean up our attitudes and figure out why the fuck these things keep happening.

That's not what I'm walking away with today.

I'm not going to remember the perpetrator(s) of this horrific attempt at terror.

I'm not going to cynically live my life thinking the world is a horrible place full of demons. Full of killers - full of monsters.

I'm not going to allow myself to live with any semblance of fear or anger toward The Unknowns.

I'm going to remember that, despite the fact that there are twisted viruses masquerading as people in our world, they're simply blips on our evolutionary blueprint. Glitches. Accidents. They won't endure.

There could have been more bombs, but these heroes ran towards the destruction, not away.


Heroism dominates psychotic terror and we have to make sure that's how it stays.

For every attacker that seeks to terrorize, there are a dozen heroes willing to run toward the insanity, toward the terror, to help those that need it. That's why the monsters will always try, but never win.

This picture was also went viral today, and it's incredibly poignant:

Brilliant advice, and so true.

I spent 27 years being angered and frustrated and confused by these seemingly random acts of violence. These complete voids of human empathy. I tried to explain it, and when I couldn't, I became consumed with jaded cynicism. This cynicism creeps and festers, along with fear, when we can't explain tragedy with logic or reason.

But it's important to not let the actions of the few dictate the perception of the many.

We outnumber them. Don't let their futile attempts convince you otherwise. 

                                                                                      -NxB








1 comment: